Kimchi Skillet Cornbread
This quick kimchi skillet cornbread is perfect for sharing. The savory kimchi adds some spice to the sweet cornbread. And the corn and green onions add extra flavor and texture.
You may have already seen my recipe for kimchi corndogs. Naturally, I had to make a kimchi cornbread recipe of its own. I also thought it would be timely with the holidays (namely, Thanksgiving and Christmas) coming up. This dish is great for sharing at potlucks or gatherings with friends and family. It’s easy but still very tasty with a hint of spice from the kimchi.
I would recommend serving this cornbread with the soy-glazed brussel sprouts.
Other Kimchi Cornbread Fillings
I also like to add some chopped green onions and corn to the batter. It helps to enhance the savory flavor and umami of the kimchi. It also rounds out the sweetness of the cornbread. I find the corn kernels are also great for texture. Some other recommended fillings are chopped jalapeños and shredded cheddar cheese. Don’t add too much though or else the cornbread will get too crumbly.
Most of the cornbread recipes online use granulated sugar. This recipe, however, uses natural sweeteners, such as coconut sugar and honey. I tried using just coconut sugar, but I find that adding honey creates the richer and warmer sweetness that I look for in the perfect cornbread.
Cast Iron Skillet
My recipe works with the 8″ Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. You could always scale up the recipe ingredients and use a bread pan or even a muffin pan. However, you may have to play around with the bake time. You will know when it is done if you insert a toothpick or fork into the center of the cornbread and it comes out clean.
Hope you enjoy!
Mise en place
If you make this Kimchi Skillet Cornbread I would love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment and/or recipe rating at the bottom of this page. And if you have a photo of your food, be sure to tag me on Instagram!
Kimchi Skillet Cornbread
- Lodge 8" cast iron skillet
- ⅓ cup kimchi, chopped
- 3 tbsp green onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp corn, frozen
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (64g)
- ½ cup cornmeal (68g)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar (70g)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ tsp baking powder (7g)
- 6 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ egg
- Sauté the kimchi over medium heat for about 4 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Fold in the corn, green onions, and most of the kimchi to the batter.
- Lightly grease the 8" cast iron skillet with canola oil.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and top it with the rest of the kimchi.
- Bake in the oven for 24 minutes, rotating halfway. (It is done baking if you insert a toothpick into the center of the cornbread and it comes out clean.)
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.